Perfect Tsukune (japanese Chicken Meatballs) Recipe
IngredientsFor the Tare Sauce:
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sake
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 3 medium cloves of garlic smashed and peeled
- 3 scallions roughly chopped
- 1 (1-inch) piece of ginger sliced
- 1 tablespoon whole black or white peppercorns
For the Meatballs:
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped scallions
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons finely minced fresh garlic (about 2 medium cloves)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 8-10 wooden skewers soaked in water for 30 minutes prior to use
- For the Tare Sauce: Combine mirin soy sauce sake brown sugar sherry vinegar garlic scallions ginger slices and peppercorns in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil over high heat then reduce to a simmer whisk to combine and cook until mixture is thick and syrupy about 45 minutes. Strain through a fine mesh strainer. Set aside or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- For the Meatballs: Using hands mix together chicken bread crumbs scallions egg ginger garlic sesame oil salt and white pepper until thoroughly combined. Form mixture into 1-inch meatballs and thread onto skewers.
- Light one chimney full of charcoal. When all the charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash pour out and spread the coals evenly over entire surface of charcoal grate. Set cooking grate in place cover grill and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Clean and oil the grilling grate. Careful transfer skewers to grill if necessary supporting meatballs from bottom to prevent them from falling off skewers. Grill until first side is well browned about 3-4 minutes. Using tongs rotate meatballs and cook until well browned on second side about 2-3 minutes. Repeat for remaining two sides.
- Brush tare sauce all over meatballs and allow to cook for 15-30 seconds longer. Transfer skewers to a plate or serving dish brush lightly with sauce again and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
This article and recipe adapted from this site