Peppermint Meltaway Cookies
- 1 1/4 cups (178g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (68g) cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup (226g) unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup (68g) powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 2 Tbsp (28g) salted butter softened
- 2 Tbsp half and half
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 1/2 cups (200g) powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup (42g) finely crushed peppermint bits or candy canes
- In a mixing bowl whisk together flour cornstarch and salt set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer cream fitted with the paddle attachment cream together butter and powdered sugar until combined.
- Mix in peppermint extract then with mixer set on low speed slowly add in flour mixture and mix just until combined.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill until nearly firm about 1 hour while preheating oven to 350 degrees during last 15 minutes of chilling.
- Scoop dough out 1 even tablespoon at a time shape into a ball then transfer to an ungreased 18 by 13-inch baking sheet spacing cookies 2-inches apart (keep dough that s wont be baking chilled).
- Bake in preheated oven until cookies are set and bottoms are lightly golden brown about 10 – 13 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet several minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer cream together butter half and half peppermint extract and powdered sugar until light and fluffy*.
- Working with one cookie at a time spread frosting over cookie and immediately after frosting each cookie add crushed peppermint bits before frosting starts to set repeat process with all cookies.
- Store cookies an in airtight container at room temperature.
- *If frosting is too thick add a little more half and half if it s too thin add a little more powdered sugar.
- Recipe source: adapted from Taste of Home and Land O Lakes
This article and recipe adapted from this site