Healthy Grilled Hawaiian Chicken Teriyaki Bowls
- 6 chicken tenders (or 3 chicken breasts)
- 2 zucchinis sliced
- 2 bell peppers any color chopped
- 1/2 pineapple peeled and cut into spears
- 1 red onion sliced thin
For the Coconut Rice:
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups canned unsweetened coconut milk (about one 13.5 oz can)
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar packed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups long grain white rice or jasmine rice
For the Teriyaki Sauce:
- ½ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch+ 2 tsp water mixed together to make a cornstarch slurry
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
InstructionsFor the Coconut Rice:
- Add the water coconut milk sugar and salt to a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil then stir in rice. Return to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand covered 10 minutes before fluffing with a fork.
For the Teriyaki Sauce:
- Make the teriyaki sauce by adding all of the sauce ingredients to a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil stirring constantly and boil for about 1 minute. The sauce should be thick enough to coat the back of the spoon.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the teriyaki sauce over the raw chicken and set aside to marinate for at least 15 minutes (or longer if using chicken breasts).
- Using a grill or grill pan:
- Prepare your grill and heat it to medium.
- If you have a vegetable grill basket to grill the vegetables in then chop them and grill them in the basket. If not cut the vegetables into large pieces that will not fall through the grill grates.
- Drizzle some olive oil over the vegetables and over the pineapple spears. Grill the vegetables for just a few minutes on each side and then remove to a plate.
- Grill the pineapple next by placing the pineapple spears directly on the grill. Grill for about 2 minutes on each side and remove to a plate.
- Lastly place the chicken on the grill. Cook for about a few minutes on each side or until cooked through. Remove to a plate to rest before slicing.
- To serve:
- Add coconut rice to each serving bowl. Top with grilled veggies pineapple and chicken. Drizzle a little of the remaining teriyaki sauce on top.
- You might also love Honey-Lime Chipotle Chicken Fajita Bowls!
NutritionCalories: 648kcal | Carbohydrates: 84g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Sodium: 1256mg | Potassium: 1060mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 27g | Vitamin A: 1475IU | Vitamin C: 103mg | Calcium: 74mg | Iron: 3.1mgThis article and recipe adapted from this site