Favorite Chicken Potpie
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1-3/4 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup butter cubed
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 4 sheets refrigerated pie crust
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place potatoes and carrots in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook covered 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain.
- In a large skillet heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Stir in flour and seasonings until blended. Gradually stir in broth and milk. Bring to a boil stirring constantly; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in chicken peas corn and potato mixture; remove from heat.
- Unroll a pie crust into each of two 9-in. pie plates; trim even with rims. Add chicken mixture. Unroll remaining crusts; place over filling. Trim seal and flute edges. Cut slits in tops.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until crust is lightly browned. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.
- Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked pies. To use remove from freezer 30 minutes before baking (do not thaw). Preheat oven to 425°. Place pies on baking sheets; cover edges loosely with foil. Bake 30 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 350°; bake 70-80 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°.
Test Kitchen tips
- Feel free to use your favorite homemade pie pastry.
- When the edge of the pastry falls inward off the lip of the pie plate we say it slumped. Reduce slumping by letting a fluted crust rest in the refrigerator 30 to 45 minutes.
- Check out our 10 favorite chicken dinner recipes.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 475 calories 28g fat (14g saturated fat) 74mg cholesterol 768mg sodium 41g carbohydrate (5g sugars 2g fiber) 15g protein.This article and recipe adapted from this site