Easy Mozzarella Chicken
- 4 5-ounce (150 gram) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 fire roasted pepper (fire roasted capsicum) chopped
- 15- ounces 425 grams crushed tomatoes OR tomato puree (Passata)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste garlic and herb flavoured if possible
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes OPTIONAL
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley to garnish
- Arrange oven shelf to the middle of the oven. Preheat broiler (or grill in Australia) on medium heat.
- Season chicken with 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning paprika onion powder salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a pan or skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken on both sides until browned and cooked through (about 8 minutes each side). Transfer to a plate; set aside.
- Cook the onion in the same pan until transparent (about 3-4 minutes) scraping any browned bits form the bottom of the pan then add in the garlic and cook until fragrant (about 1 minute). Add the fire roasted pepper (or capsicum) crushed tomatoes tomato paste crushed red pepper flakes (if including) and remaining Italian seasoning. Give it a good stir to mix well.
- Bring to a simmer and allow the sauce to thicken while stirring occasionally (about 4 minutes).
- Arrange the chicken in the sauce and top each breast with 2-3 tablespoons of mozzarella cheese per breast. Transfer to the oven to broil for 1-2 minutes or until the cheese in browned and bubbling.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
This article and recipe adapted from this site